Saturday, April 16, 2011

Strawberry Melomel 2010

I put this on my FB, too, so if you follow me there, this is nothing different.  I do plan to get a yogurt-making post up pretty soon.  I just made some last weekend, and I refined my process a little, so I'd like to get that shared.




This fruit mead is much more complex that what you'd expect from, well, anything with strawberries. 
For starters, the color is a rich amber, more like a spirit than what one would normally find in a wine.  The nose carries strawberry, of course, but also strong components of hazelnut and apricot with just a hint of dates.  It is lightly sweet on the tongue with a nicely balanced tartness.  The flavor shows off its component strawberries, but also carries notes of white cherry, apple, and apricot.  The finish is light and fresh, with a lingering touch of hazelnut, vanilla, perhaps even caramel.

No comments:

Post a Comment